Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Tidal Exhibit #1

I attended the Tidal Exhibition at the Art Place featuring some of the artwork made by Kennesaw State University's senior class. There were many different mediums, which included photography, wood, digital design, ceramics and more. Many of the artists approached things from very different perspectives; some were successful, others not so much. Some pieces lacked inspiration and instead of developing their own personal style, it seemed like some artists were mimicking what they’ve already seen. Most of these pieces were most likely made for class assignments, during the process of discovering who they were as artists, so it’s unfair to expect absolute professionalism or success.
Honestly, after seeing the show I am no longer intimidated by upperclassmen. I was thoroughly disappointed with the show in general. One artist I was impressed with was Kenneth Adams. He left a book of many examples of his other pieces. He also had many leave behinds and the presentation was very professional. I picked up his leave behind postcard with the intention of seeing more of his artwork on his website. Disappointingly however, there was none and the website given reflected nothing of the artist; I’m assuming the site may be another example of his work. I was probably drawn to his work because the majority of his pieces were not only eye-catching, but successfully executed. Also, being a graphic design major myself; I can appreciate the uniqueness of the media.
After reading some artist’s biographies I can tell that art is very important to many of them, which is really great- to have artists with heart. However, technical skills come in handy too. Just as long as people realize that while some art is meant to be sold and hung in galleries; some is meant to be done as a hobby in their free time.

--KM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home